Monday, May 17, 2010

Let's start where we left off ....

I was in my third trimester when I started this, about 8+months along, I was due October 4th and had a c-section scheduled for September 25th ... Elijah was measuring 2 weeks ahead and at the rate he was growing he was estimated to be between 9 & 10lbs. Since Karina was 8lb 9oz, and I'm more on the "petite" side, my doctor wanted him out before he was too big & caused any complications ... boy if we only knew what was coming!!!
I stopped working a month before my due date so that I could get ready for the baby but more importantly, have time alone with Karina before she had to start kindergarten and share the spotlight. Karina started her new schools and adjusted perfectly, she loved being at a big kid school and I am so thankful that she is such a well adjusted child that goes with the flow ... just like her momma!!

I pretty much had less than 2 weeks and then Elijah decided he was done hanging out in me! My mom told me she didn't think I was going to last till the 25th and I should start packing my bag, you know what they say about mother's intuition ... On September 9th, I called my sister & told her to come over & help me organize the baby's room, I was totally overwhelmed - it was super hot, I was disgustingly swollen and was having contractions that actually hurt. She came over, put on the crib bedding (Corey just put the crib together, the day before), organized the room and all I needed to do was buy him a dresser. After she left, Corey & I sat down and started keeping track of the contractions ... they kept coming ... stronger & consistent. But I promised to hold out a few days since the next day, September 10th, was Corey's 30th birthday and he had big plans to have one last hoo-rah before he became a father of two by having great seats to see his favorite band: Dave Mathews! Well, I tried to keep my promise but Elijah wanted to steal daddy's thunder!!

The night was uncomfortable but not unbareable, but since I already had a doctors appointment in the morning, I was just gonna hold out & see what she had to say. The first thing in the morning I had some spotting but I didn't think much of it ... I didn't know I was in labor since I never experienced it before. Karina was 10 days late so my doctor scheduled a c-section to avoid an unproductive labor since she was so high up and never "dropped". I went to my appointment, contracting the whole way there and started bleeding when I gave my "sample" ... my doctor put me on the monitor, saw how close my contractions were and told me that this baby was coming today and to go home, get my bag & meet her at the hospital.
This was not part of "my plan"!! Helllooooo it was my husband's 30th birthday and we were suppose to go to lunch before he left for his fun concert. I felt horrible (of course I shouldn't), he had been looking forward to his 30th birthday and I had to call him and tell him, that his son was coming today, whether or not we were prepared for him!

I still remember the conversation:
Me: "uhmmm, I'm in labor and the baby is coming today at 1:30"
Corey: "WHAT! Are you serious? Is this a birthday joke?!
Me: "No it's not, where are you?"
Corey: "I'm buying beer for the concert"
Me: "well meet me at home, get the car seat out of the garage & don't forget my boppy!"
Corey: "you're not kidding, are you?!"
Me: "Nope! Happy Birthday, you get to meet your son!!"
And so there it was, the beginning of a day we could never prepare for! We got to the hospital, checked in, waited & waited for the doctor to get out of a previous surgery, then her assistant was late and in the meantime, my water broke, which wasn't pretty!! I am so not good with pain! OMG did those contractions hurt! They got me into the OR, everything went smoothe and we met our precious baby boy, Elijah James Hamilton!!

before my water broke...I was HUGE!!
realizing that all of his future birthdays will consist of bounce houses & super heroes!

Mr. Elijah James Hamilton, Born September 10th, 2009

arrived 4 weeks early, weighing in at 6lb, 8oz & 18 inches long.

Everything was fine and dandy until I was in the recovery room and my uterus decided not to contract like it is suppose to after delivery. To make a long and dramatic story very short ... my doctor had to get my uterus working again or else she would have to open me back up and figure out what's going on, which often ends in a hysterectomy ... she was able to get it "working" again after significant blood loss and lots of doctors/nurses crowding over me trying everything in their medical textbooks to save me & my ablity to have future children. By God's grace, they were successful! God is good! I was too drugged to really know what was going on but Corey was fully aware as the doctors frantically rushed around the room and shouted orders while he held our new baby boy, made sure someone was taking care of Karina in the waiting room and tried not to freak out about what was going on with me. Can we say CHAOS!!!!!

Of course none of this was part of "my birth plan" but it just proves that "our plan" doesn't matter ... it's HIS plan and only HIS plan that will come to fruition! I am so thankful that at 4 weeks early, Elijah was perfectly healthy and the weight of most full term babies, once again God is soooo goooood!!

No comments:

Post a Comment